02 March 2016

Don't Be Hatin': Fuller House??

So don't be hatin' on my following perspective, okay??

I grew up watching and loving Full House. This past weekend it's follow-up sequel, Fuller House, came out on Netflix. I was SO excited to see the old cast reunited and have a new TV show to watch.

But as Dr. Coyne from my BYU media class has told us, I really am more critical of everything I watch and listen to now! And Fuller House is no exception.

Fuller House still is counted as a family TV show, but I'm only through the fourth episode now, and without fail, there has been sexual innuendos, objectification of women and dumb-downed roles/capabilities of both the grown men and women in the series.

This puts me in a real weird spot for me. I guess a hard spot is a better description. Do I keep watching Fuller House and ignore it? Or do I just stop cold turkey and flip back on my Fixer Upper instead?

Who knows, I still need to figure it out. But here is my vent for the day.

Thanks for reading! :P



SEE WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT?! Who needs to be showing cleavage in their kitchen/dining room area???

4 comments:

  1. You know, my poor wife is going through the same inner turmoil as you. When she first heard about Fuller House, she was super excited because it was her most favorite show as a child; however, inwardly I was afraid that they'd do exactly what they did. I watched one episode with her, and I felt that they did good but failed completely at the same time. For example, I love that they made Deej into a veterinarian, which implies that she is a very smart and capable woman; however, when it comes to parenting they make her out to be a dumb blond mom who's not in touch with her children and who doesn't really help her children resolve the problems presented in the episode (Lucha Kaboom). We've had a similar experience with the show Last Man Standing which is basically a reboot of Home Improvement, one of my favorites as a kid. Best of luck as you figure out your dilemma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the first episode of this yesterday. I grew up with Full House and wanted to be Stephanie. I thought the first episode was just...okay. Disappointing in many ways, but very nostalgic for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha! I love how all of us girls are just loving the reminiscing and nostalgia that is coming back as we tune into "Fuller House" unfortunately, it just isn't what it used to be, is it? I watched it and wanted to cry because so many wonderful memories came flooding back, but Steph was a little out of control with her red outfit...I miss them all being little!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I FEEL THE EXACT SAME WAY!!!!! Honestly I kind of just feel like they made Fuller House so they could get Stephanie onto Dancing with the Stars (which she's going to be).... seriously, what a joke. And don't even get me started on how creepy Steve is. These are NOT the characters we know and love.

    ReplyDelete