21 March 2016

Maybe You ARE A Skinny Minnie. =D

Are you ACTUALLY fat? Or has the media, your entire life without you even realizing it , taught you a lie? Maybe you are a "Skinny Minnie" (as my Grandma says) and not a Plumpy Pete. Humor me for a sec and think about this....


So this post has been something that I've been meaning to write for about two weeks now. In my textbook, our reading was all about media affecting our idea of what is normal beauty and body type is. I'll tell you some things from this reading that helped morph my self-concept from back from a Plumpy Pete to a Skinny Minnie. And no, it isn't because I lost weight. =D Read on. =D


pg. 364 of Children, Adolescents, and the Media, Strasburger, Wilson & Jordon
Since 1920, the BMI (Body Mass Index) of Miss America beauty pageant winners has slowly decreased and decreased! People, are you seeing this?! The average BMI of Miss America is about 18.8%..."which signifies undernutrition" (Strasburger, Wilson & Jordan, pg. 363). NO these models aren't seeming skinnier because the studies have compared them a significantly obese American young woman. These models ARE undernutritioned and in reality ARE NOT the norm. 

"Two decades ago, the average American model weighted 8% less than the average American woman; today, she ways 23% less." (Strasburger, et al. pg. 363). Ahhh! And that was back in 2000! Where in the world are we now?!

Today, between the beauty pageants, TV shows, magazines and commercials, these ladies are scary skinny. And we subconsciously compare ourselves to them. Since this reading and subsequent lecture, I've realized how hard I am on my body image and how I think I am fat, but I'm not. All these years, I just have been comparing myself to the fake norm that I have seen through the media. Yes, our normals are all different; skinny, plump, short and tall and we all have our struggles. BUT what we perceive as normal weight is skewed to be much less then what it actually is.

We all can be a little bit better. But how about for today, you accept yourself for where you are right now. :D

"start where you are...God will take you as you are at this very moment and begin to work with you. All you need is a willing heart, a desire to believe, and trust in the Lord." 

-President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2015- 
"It Works Wonderfully"


God loves YOU. Promise.

2 comments:

  1. This was well approached and well written on this subject. I have even seen this in my mother, that she is constantly worried about her own weight, which then transfers to how worried she is about everyone else's weight (especially her kids...girls AND boys), and then you get told by the world that you are never skinny enough, etc etc. I feel like people are hard enough on themselves, who are we and the media to add to that? (same goes with being single and other trials for that matter) So great uplifting message from President Uchtdorf in the end! While the Lord wants us to be healthy, He also would not want us to hate on ourselves constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. We think that healthy can be defined based on physical attributes but your post shows that health is internal rather than external. I appreciate your refocusing on the right kind of image.

    ReplyDelete